02 - 11 SEPTEMBER | KEEPING YOU INFORMED: RECENT ANNOUNCEMENTS BY THE ROYAL GOVERNMENT
- 11 September, 2020
- Posted by: EuroCham Cambodia
With the COVID-19 situation continuing to impact Cambodia, EuroCham will be regularly disseminating the official announcements from the Royal Government to ensure our network is updated as efficiently as possible.
Due to the significant number of incoming announcements, we are unable to translate these in full so please refer to our summaries below and the attached official notices in Khmer.
Official Announcements: 02 - 11 September
(English summaries provided by EuroCham Cambodia, subject to corrections by relevant authorities)
1. Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training Notification on Pchum Ben Holidays
On 3 September, the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training notified owners or directors of factories and enterprises that the employees are entitled to the paid holidays during the Pchum Ben Festival which will last three days from 16 to 18 September 2020. The Ministry also allows businesses to operate as usual if this pause may affect the public interest and the operation of company. In this case, the companies shall rotate their employees to enjoy their public holiday.
Those who work during the holidays will be entitled to an additional payment that is equal to the normal working day’s wage.
2. Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training Prakas on Determination of Minimum Wage for Workers in Textiles, Garment and Footwear Sectors for 2021
On 10 September, the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training issued the Prakas No. 303/20 stating that the 2021 minimum wage for workers in textiles, garment and footwear sectors is increased to $192 per month for full employees and $187 per month for employees who are under probation period. The other benefits previously received by the workers are retained. This minimum wage is effective from 1st January 2021.
3. General Department of Taxation Notification on Law and Regulation Updates
On 9 September, the General Department of Taxation issued a notification on law and regulation updates on the tax on profit, withholding tax, tax on salary, value-added tax and tax exemptions for sectors which are impacted by COVID-19. The notification reiterates the monthly tax exemption measures to hotels, guesthouses, restaurants and travel agents registered with the General Department of Taxation and their business activities operating in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, Preah Sihanouk, Kep, Kampot, Bavet and Poi Pet from March to September 2020. Nevertheless, the businesses are still obliged to file a tax declaration and use the E-VAT system.
4. Ministry of Tourism Press Release on Tips for Tourists Travelling to Cambodia
On 9 September, the Ministry of Tourism issued a press release on tips for tourists travelling to Cambodia. These tips include: abiding the measures by the Royal Government of Cambodia, seeking medical advice if they feel unwell, getting insurance, avoiding discrimination, washing hands, sharing a positive experience, keeping calm, and considering trip postponing but not cancelling.
5. General Department of Customs and Excise Letter on Temporary Ports of Entry for the Import of Liquor and Cigarettes
On 7 September, the General Department of Customs and Excise has temporarily set the specific entry gates/checkpoints to allow the import of all kinds of liquor (containing more than 10% alcohol) and cigarettes. This instruction aims to strengthen the efficiency of customs revenue collection as well as to prevent the evasion of customs duties. The wine and cigarettes are only permitted to import through the following temporary gates:
- Only permit to import liquor and cigarettes at the entrance of Preah Sihanouk international port, Phnom Penh Port, and International Airport;
- Any imports of liquor and cigarettes at the other entrances or border checkpoints must be approved by the General Department of Customs and Excise.
6. Ministry of Economy and Finance and Ministry of Public Works and Transport Joint Prakas on Policies and Procedures of the Transfer of Vehicle Ownership
On 27 August, the Ministry of Economy and Finance (MEF) and Ministry of Public Works and Transport (MPWT) issued the Joint Prakas No. 264 on policy and procedures of the ownership transfer of private, public-owned, embassy, and international organisation vehicles. This Joint Prakas states the required documents and different steps in applying for the ownership transfer through the MEF and MPWT systems (Annex 5).
7. Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training Notification on the Provision of Subsidised Allowances to Suspended Employees in the Garment and Tourism Sectors (Round 29)
On 10 September, the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training confirmed that 8,278 suspended employees from 62 enterprises and factories of the garment and tourism sectors will receive a message from Wing (Cambodia) Specialised Bank about their subsidised allowance. Employees can withdraw the allowance at any Wing branch by bringing along their Khmer ID card and phone number. No service fee is required for the withdrawal.
8. Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training Notification on the Provision of Subsidised Allowances to Suspended Employees in the Garment and Sectors (Round 28)
On 10 September, the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training confirmed that 5,402 suspended employees from 18 enterprises and factories of the garment sector will receive a message from Wing (Cambodia) Specialised Bank about their subsidised allowance. Employees can withdraw the allowance at any Wing branch by bringing along their Khmer ID card and phone number. No service fee is required for the withdrawal.