About Nexus for Development
Nexus is a key network and finance partner working to make low-carbon clean energy and WASH solutions count toward the Global Goals. We are based in Southeast Asia and collaborate with partners around the world to create and deploy innovative financing tools to scale locally driven solutions.
A diverse range of organizations are improving people’s lives in the face of poverty and climate change. At Nexus, we connect award-winning organizations with world-leading businesses, donors and investors, inspiring and funding change that maximizes sustainable development outcomes.
We support continuous learning and professional development, offering a robust in-house knowledge base on carbon finance, footprinting, fund management, innovative finance, sustainable development, networking, capacity-building and sustainability strategy.
Since our formation in 2009 by an alliance of development organizations, our expertise has evolved to offer a range of technical and financial services that support the growth and impact of our partners.
Nexus engages with several international actors:
- Development practitioners (Social enterprises, NGOs)
- Private sectors companies and corporates, investors and donors
- Researchers, policy makers and international standards and associations
For more information, visit http://www.nexusfordevelopment.org/
Join our team!
Nexus seeks a motivated Technical Services Officer with an entrepreneurial mindset to be based in our office in Phnom Penh, Cambodia!
Reporting to the Executive Director and working closely with the Technical Services Managers / Advisors, the individual will serve as a key contributor to the technical team with responsibility for delivering high-quality, expert technical advisory services to Nexus’ clients and corporate partners. The position is scoped with the core responsibility of business development and is expected to contribute to the sourcing of new projects and consultancies in the low-carbon clean energy and WASH sectors. Nexus seeks to constantly improve upon the quality of our technical work and in this role the Technical Services Officer will contribute to the growth of the project portfolio while working with the team to build upon best practices.
- Business Development (50%)
- Develop a robust pipeline of projects and consultancies for the delivery of technical services in the field of low-carbon development and climate change mitigation across the clean energy, water and sanitation sectors;
- Manage regional relationships (across Southeast Asia) with new and existing clients with a key focus on cross-selling Nexus’ services;
- Research and stay abreast of market trends; provide Nexus with technical and market intelligence;
- Identify knowledge gaps and contribute to generating innovative project ideas and concepts that could have positive impact on the ecosystem and drive the development of Nexus;
- Participate in relevant events and forums – national and international
- Contribute technical information to grant proposals as required
- Technical Advisory Services (30%)
The technical advisory services work covers the following three areas: (1) management of carbon project development, (2) liaising with the funds management team on technical evaluations and (3) delivery of consultancy projects. Key activities will include:
- Consultancy projects
- Manage and deliver technical work for consultancy projects related to carbon finance, carbon footprint estimates, and due diligence and project feasibility.
- Build a pipeline of new consultancy projects in the following areas of focus and lead on the delivery of such projects. Product and service offerings will be done in collaboration with the Carbon Asset Management team:
- Baseline and market assessments;
- Environmental impact studies;
- SDG and impact measurement assessments;
- Monitoring and evaluation of projects in the clean energy and water sectors;
- I-REC – supporting in procedure for registration, third-party verification, monitoring, audits.
- Carbon project development: Development and successful issuance of high-quality carbon finance programs under voluntary and compliance standards.
- Conduct pre-screening/screening of projects to identify if they have potential to be developed as carbon projects;
- Assist clients through the GS4GG/CDM carbon project cycle from design stage to issuance of carbon credits including designing baseline and monitoring surveys, developing project design documents, monitoring reports, conducting validation and verification field visits, etc.;
- Manage co-benefits information and data collection on projects for coordination with the Carbon Asset Management team and the Communications and Marketing Manager, i.e. Social Return on Investment and SDG impacts;
- Delivery of carbon credit issuing projects, including drafting and reviewing technical assistance agreements.
- Funds management
- Provide expert review of technologies and potential risks of implementation in a developing country context;
- Contribute to debt financing strategy development from a technical perspective;
- Coordinate sourcing-oriented business development for investments under the climate and impact funds managed by Nexus, including matching businesses/projects to appropriate sources of funding or technical services at Nexus;
- Support the funds management team for technical and impact screening and due diligence of projects.
- Administration (20%)
- Participate in the preparation of monitoring and reporting activities for external and internal purposes;
- Contribute to the technical team’s annual budget and monitor achievement of annual revenue targets on a monthly and quarterly basis;
- Contribute to strategy development in coordination with the Executive Director;
- Team planning and resource management – manage internal resources to deliver on projects successfully and oversee the recruitment of new staff or consultants as required.
- Role Title: Technical Services Officer
- Location: Phnom Penh, Cambodia; approx. 15-20% of travel time.
- Reporting to: Executive Director
- Direct reports: None
- Term: Unspecified duration contract under Cambodian law
- Remuneration package: 20k – 25k USD per annum (circa 12-13% taxation; benefiting from local competitive cost of living). Minimum commitment of two years. 40 days of annual leave including public holidays. Training allowance. Annual flight home provided for international staff per year of work. Visa, work Group Person Accident insurance and travel insurance provided.
Successful candidates will have:
- At least 4 years’ experience developing and implementing business development strategies and programs;
- Strong working experience and knowledge of Microsoft Office, specifically with Microsoft Excel, data analysis and financial model development
- Emerging market experience and strong interest in the world of sustainability impact investing, and/or related fields;
- Strong technical understanding of clean energy, water and sanitation technologies, in particular those most relevant in a development context and demonstrating most market potential for scalability;
- Experience with business development and relationship management, ideally with an established network in Asia;
- Understanding of climate finance mechanisms, knowledge of GHG accounting methodologies, impact assessment and environmental assessment methodologies is a plus;
- Demonstrated ability to and track record in securing new business and consultancies;
- Experience in public speaking and reporting (including liaison, advice and preparation of written proposals, reports and submissions).
Education and skills
- Master’s degree in a relevant subject (environmental science or engineering, international development, business management, etc.);
- Innovative mindset with ability to approach problems by applying critical thinking and analysis;
- Proactive problem-solving can-do attitude and willingness to adapt to an evolving role;
- Self-starter who is at ease working in a small structure, start-up-type, where tasks and responsibilities are in constant movement;
- Experience managing workplans and in project management;
- Interpersonal, problem solving and negotiation skills;
- Demonstrated interest in environmental and social issues and sustainable development;
- Able to operate in a multicultural environment including remote colleagues;
- Proficient in English with confident writing skills, knowledge of other languages such as Mandarin or Khmer a plus.
To apply please submit your application here. Your cover letter should address how you meet the key qualifications and requirements of this position by providing examples from previous roles. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until January 20th, 2020. We encourage all qualified applicants – local and international – to apply for this opportunity.