Nexus seeks an experienced and motivated Technical Programs Director with skills in business development to be based in our office in Phnom Penh, Cambodia!
The Technical Programs Director position is a key position at Nexus to manage programs and technical services, originate projects for funds, develop carbon projects (for carbon finance) and to secure technical consultancies.
Nexus currently manages climate and impact funds for fast-growing social businesses that sustainably address climate change by providing affordable energy, water and sanitation solutions. As a complement to this work, Nexus positions itself as a regional environmental consultant and delivers on multi-partner consultancies with subject matter expert inputs for local and international clients, in the government and private sector.
Examples of current projects supported include SMEs and social businesses producing and/ or distributing solar technologies, household biogas digestors, water filters and improved cookstoves primarily in the developing economies of Asia. Nexus seeks to keep abreast of new technologies, lead in the creation or adoption of innovative finance tools and programmes, and to expand its portfolio in a sustainable way.
The role will focus on scoping and generating new business opportunities, including, for example, new technologies to be added to our investment project portfolio, consultancy opportunities and additional certification services. The post holder will also ensure quality management and the timely delivery of activities specifically under the existing carbon programs, climate funds, and consultancy assignments managed by Nexus. The post holder will share responsibilities with the Executive Director for oversight and management of the debt impact funds.
The position reports to the Executive Director and holds management oversight of a multidisciplinary team. The position also requires continuous coordination with other key functions at Nexus.
Programs Activity and Relationships Management (35%)
Technical Programs Director develops and manages relationships to support Nexus’ mission and revenue generation:
- Coordinate sourcing-oriented business development for investments under the climate and impact funds managed by Nexus, including matching businesses/projects to appropriate sources of funding or technical services at Nexus;
- Develop a robust pipeline of projects and consultancies for the delivery of technical services in the field of low-carbon development and climate change mitigation across the clean energy, water and sanitation sectors;
- Support the funds’ management team for technical and impact screening and due diligence of projects;
- Maintain strong relationships with (impact) finance, carbon and climate actors to stay abreast of trends and develop market intelligence;
- Develop, support and facilitate knowledge and information management related to the implementation of programs and technology intelligence;
- Represent Nexus at national and international forums.
Technical oversight and delivery (30%)
Technical Programs Director has oversight of the technical team (current staff of two) and ensures contractual timeframes and quality management are delivered across the project and consultancy portfolio. The role oversees the work of technical assistance delivered to carbon projects in Asia.
To support and grow these streams of work, the Programs Technical Director will:
- Establish a strategy for technical consultancies;
- Provide strong support to the delivery of carbon credit issuing projects, including drafting and reviewing of technical assistance agreements
- Strengthen Nexus’ capacity in the areas of social and environmental monitoring and evaluation of projects;
- Lead day-to-day execution of the ongoing research and deliverables.
Business and concept idea development (20%)
In collaboration with the Executive Director and Business Development Director, establish strategies that contribute to fundraising efforts and business development for Nexus:
- Lead on generating and delivering business opportunities in consultancy, carbon development and other climate finance opportunities – namely those requiring specific technical set-up or monitoring support, such as certifications, standards and RBF schemes
- Contribute to fundraising initiatives for Nexus and to grant proposals in support of the organization’s capitalization
- Identify knowledge gaps, trends and contribute to generating innovative project ideas and concepts that could have positive impact on the ecosystem and drive the development of Nexus
Strategy and team management (15%)
Technical Programs Director will contribute to the general management and strategy of Nexus and be part of the organization’s core management team, including:
- Manage the technical and fund management teams with responsibility for HR needs to support the business development, research and consultancy activities;
- Coordinate Programs Team Monthly meetings; ensuring clear and timely communication and information sharing among the team;
- Contribute to the overall strategic direction of Nexus along with other directors;
- Attend and contribute to Nexus Board Meetings as needed;
- Oversee the unit’s annual budget, and monitor achievement of annual revenue targets on a monthly and quarterly basis;
- Deliver the team’s annual performance evaluations.
Role Title: Technical Programs Director
Location: Phnom Penh, Cambodia; some remote working possible; approx. 15-20% of travel time.
Reporting to: Executive Director
Direct reports: Two experienced professionals
Term: Unspecified duration contract under Cambodian law
Remuneration package: 32k-34k USD per annum (circa 12-13% taxation; benefiting from local competitive cost of living). Minimum commitment of two years. 40 days of annual leave including public holidays. Training allowance. Annual flight home provided for international staff per year of work. Visa, work Group Person Accident insurance and travel insurance provided.
Successful candidates will have:
- At least 8 years’ experience developing and implementing business development strategies and programs;
- Emerging market experience and strong interest in the world of sustainability impact investing, and/or related fields;
- Strong technical understanding of clean energy, water and sanitation technologies, in particular those most relevant in a development context and demonstrating most market potential for take-up at scale;
- Established track record of business development and relationship management, ideally with an established network in Asia;
- Understanding of climate finance mechanisms, knowledge of GHG accounting methodologies, impact assessment and environmental assessment methodologies is a plus;
- Demonstrated ability to and track record in securing new business and consultancies;
- Experience in public speaking and reporting (including liaison, advice and preparation of written proposals, reports and submissions).
Education and skills
- Master’s degree in a relevant subject (environmental science or engineering, international development, business management, etc.);
- Innovative mindset and demonstrated ability to develop lean teams;
- Proactive problem-solving can-do attitude and willingness to adapt to an evolving role;
- Ability to instruct and direct staff, experience managing workplans;
- Interpersonal, problem solving and negotiation skills;
- Demonstrated interest in environmental and social issues and sustainable development;
- At ease working in a small structure, start-up-type, where tasks and responsibilities are in constant movement;
- Able to operate in a multicultural environment including remote colleagues;
- Proficient in English with confident writing skills, knowledge of other languages such as French, German, Mandarin or Khmer a plus.
Please submit a CV and a 1-page cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. The cover letter should address how you meet the Key Requirements by providing examples from a previous position. The subject of the email should read: “Application Technical Programs Director”. Applications will be considered on a rolling based until March 29th, 2019, early applications are encouraged.