Nexus seeks a Fundraising & Knowledge Lead to be based in our office in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. The Fundraising & Knowledge Lead will play an important role to support the growth of both Nexus’ network and financial capacity. The role is key in identifying grant and other funding opportunities to support Nexus’ activities, specifically the knowledge work with the social enterprises we support.
This role is best suited for an individual who is a self-starter, resourceful, detail-oriented, a good networker, and an excellent writer. The person must have experience in developing new areas of work and driving partnership opportunities. Nexus for Development is looking for someone who is familiar with climate change, renewable energy, and sustainable development.
Role Title: Fundraising & Knowledge Lead
Location: Phnom Penh, Cambodia.
Reporting to: Director of Business Development
Direct reports: Tbd
Term: Unspecified duration contract under Cambodian law; minimum 2-year commitment of employee expected
Remuneration package: 18 -25k USD per annum, commensurate with experience (circa 12-13% taxation; benefiting from local competitive cost of living). 40 days of annual leave including public holidays. Training allowance. Annual flight home provided for international staff per year of work. Visa, work Group Person Accident insurance and travel insurance provided.
Preferred start date: April 2019
- Business Development and fundraising (~75%)
- Proactively build strategic relationships and networks with donors, investors and key partners
- Proactively identify suitable funding organisations, develop a pipeline of prospective funding opportunities and carry out requisite market research on knowledge gaps
- Lead on or coordinate all grant funding opportunities:
- Assessing the potential of a funding opportunity, analysing requirements, and recommending a course of action to senior management
- Managing the whole proposal development process: writing the proposal and coordinating inputs from the different teams
- If successful: take care of the contract negotiation and contracting process with both funders and partners
- Tracking funding opportunities for Nexus’ various areas of work, technical consultancies, and projects
- Responsible for grant management, reporting to donors, and appropriate follow-up, as well as detailed record-keeping
- Provide input on Nexus’ strategic direction, driving new project development opportunities
- Account management of key relationships across the ecosystem and Nexus’ various business lines.
- Knowledge and Ecosystem Facilitation (~25%)
- Manage Nexus’ network. This includes:
- Manage relationships with existing network and partners, maintaining engagement by: organizing and facilitating quarterly webinars, coordinating ad hoc working groups, and sharing a monthly newsletter including updates, knowledge resources and funding opportunities.
- Oversee the knowledge work and engagement with a wider network of social enterprises, financiers, and other actors in the ecosystem
- Manage the programme “Leveraging Innovative Finance Together” (LIFT), which seeks to accelerate sustainable energy and water entrepreneurship in Asia. The programme engages with stakeholders to facilitate dialogue, organize knowledge activities and drive sector finance and implementation in the region. It also undertakes research and collaboration with partners.
- Grow Nexus’ role as a facilitator and ‘connector’ between entrepreneurs and financiers (donors, impact investors, corporates) within the LIFT programme. The scope of the programme depends on successful fundraising and partnerships.
- Depending on the activities throughout the year, manage and oversee the work of a project coordinator implementing the LIFT work.
Key skills and qualifications
- Previous business development and fundraising experience, including grant sourcing, grant application processes, writing concept notes, proposal development and networking desirable
- Positive track record of planning and leading on proposal submissions as well as delivering fundraising results
- Strong proposal writing skills, including writing short unstructured concept notes as well as responding to call for applications
- Strong aptitude for research and interest in continuous learning (including knowledge development in technical areas)
- Experience in donor reporting, monitoring and evaluation, and budget management
- Good networker and knowledge of donor profiles (foundations, institutional donors, etc.)
- Experience in coordinating and developing knowledge sharing activities such as webinars, working groups, trainings, and workshops
- Strong project management and coordination skills; especially multiple projects with tight deadlines
- Degree (Master’s preferred) in international development, international business, environmental sustainability or related technical field of expertise
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in business development with a strong fundraising component, grant writing, and project management
- Knowledge of climate finance, renewable energy, climate change mitigation or adaptation, WASH, sustainability issues, climate change and impact finance a plus
- Fluency in written and spoken English required, additional language skills in French, Khmer, Chinese or other relevant language a plus
- Previous experience living and working internationally with an appreciation for multicultural teams strongly preferred, with experience in Southeast Asia a plus.
- Pro-active and solutions-oriented work approach, with proven adaptability and ability to support multiple and shifting demands and deadlines
- Comfortable working in virtual teams in an international, multi-cultural setting
- High level of autonomy in carrying out own work, yet with a keen team-spirit
- Passion to remain at the forefront of sustainable development funding.
To apply, please submit a CV and a 1-page cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Application to Business Development role” and include a relevant writing sample. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until March 15th, 2019.
In your cover letter please explain why you are well prepared to take on the responsibilities of this position, highlighting relevant examples of your work experience.
Please note that only complete applications will be considered.